Monday, December 16, 2013

A Reader

Tonight, my son read all of Ezra Jack Keat's A Snowy Day by himself, and I would like to mark the occasion.

He didn't want to do it.  He fussed and complained about it being too hard, but before he knew what was happening, he was laughing when the snow fell on Peter's head.  He confuses "was" and "saw" and also compound nouns don't come easy like "somewhere," but he's getting it.  I felt proud.

A good friend brought us our Christmas gift early, a hand-made quilt using retro fabric.  It is beautiful and made me feel very loved.  I carried her thrashing 3-year-old out to her car and strapped her in as she arched her back and wailed at not wanting to leave.  I kissed her forehead. 

I sat under the quilt with both kids as we read chapter nine of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, feeling very warm and loved.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. The reading, the quilt and the kind of friends who let you carry their screaming 3 year old.

    ReplyDelete