Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Lost Grandson

For the last month, he's been bringing me a stack of photos every week.  Through very broken English, he's shown his son, his grandson, his daughter-in-law and his son's grave.  His daughter-in-law died too.  I'd mistakenly blamed his insistence on showing me these photos every week on his old age and loneliness.  Today I found out that I was wrong.

A friend I work with had a few minutes this morning when he came in again with the photos to explain that he is looking for his grandson, the baby in the photos he has.  After being fully orphaned, he was adopted by a family in Canada, and his grandfather is desperate to make contact.

He uses a cane and has terrible eyesight.  When he came in this morning, I wasn't expecting him since it's not a normal program day with any formal activities going on.  I welcomed him to sit down near my desk, and as the all-important words "adopted to Canada" hit my ear, it all made sense.  This is why he kept bringing them in.  I really need to listen better.

I looked down at him, and he rubbed his eyes, burdened by the weight of this  lost grandson.  He explained that he doesn't want to take the boy back; he just wants contact.  He wants to know that he's okay.

I am an adoptive mother myself, and here I am on the other side of things.  What if one of my own children's grandparents was out there trying to reach out to them?  This thought makes me ache and desperate to help him, to find that lost grandson, the tiny boy celebrating what looks like a second birthday, standing beside his mother with a loaf of honey bread and a plate of oranges.

Around twelve years ago, that family was ripped apart, two scattered to the grave and another two westward, one landing in my office today.  I now carry his burden.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. What a honor to be able to help him search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an adoptive mom in Canada with two boys from Ethiopia (wrong time frame though). If there is any way I can help, please let me know. I wish with my whole heart that my boys had some contact with family!

    ReplyDelete