Monday, April 8, 2013

Readers

Tonight, my son had to go to bed "early" for collapsing in an over-dramatic fit of tears upon being told it was time to come inside at 7pm.

We sat upstairs so he could read to me, his sister reading books downstairs on the living room couch.  We're trying to be more disciplined about our kids reading every day for fun.  Discipline and fun in one sentence?  We are parents.

He had picked a Little Critter Christmas book to read, and I was amazed at how he made his way through it with very little help from me.  This is not what I was expecting.  At school, his teacher has him reading very basic sentences with mostly 'sight words' and short three-letter words.  Tonight, free of distractions, he was reading "Merry Christmas." 

Earlier tonight, I found the video of when he took his first steps (on the set of the tv show My Name is Earl, in an interesting foot note for my son's biography).  I found my stomach clenched in anticipation of those tiny size 6 feet moving forward on their own, keeping his rotund S-shaped form balanced and upright for three steps. 

I don't know what my point is here besides something about the passage of time.  It passes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment