Sunday, March 10, 2013

MJ...again.

Over the weekend, my son's best friend had his birthday party that we all went to.  It was a "pajamas for peace" party with breakfast for dinner and plenty of alcohol for the adult attendees.  Someone turned on the music for dancing, and  "Smooth Criminal" came on.  This was the song that first drew our son in to love of all things Michael Jackson, so we all started cheering him on to dance.  It was a mistake.  He felt put on the spot and disappeared upstairs to play legos with his friend. 

I found him upstairs upset, so I picked him up and we talked a bit.  Our host came up and said she'd turn on whatever song he wanted, and he picked "Thriller" but still wouldn't go back down.  He held on to me, and his friend said (sweetly), "Abe just wants to be with his mom."  Cue the 'tough guy' act.  He pulled away from me, and said, "That's not true!" 

His friend said, "But that's okay! Sometimes you just want to be with one person.  I feel that way all the time."

"Yeah, well, it's not true."

"Well, if you want to be with your mom, that's okay. We all feel that way sometimes."

What an amazing kid, right? 

Later in the night, his friend put on a Michael Jackson costume (black shirt, hat, dark glasses) and gave sunglasses to my son so they could match.  In disguise, they made their way back to the dance party which had moved on to "Gangham Style" and "Intergalactic" by the Beastie Boys.

I sat next to a few of the grown ups, one of whom started talking about a conversation she'd had earlier in the night with my son about the song "Man in the Mirror."  He talked to her about how it's now his favorite because "it's so emotional."  I think he must remember the time I cried through an explanation of its meaning. 

I'm happy he finds it his favorite.  I have a short video of him singing along to it, emoting the hell out of it.  My kid is such a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment