Monday, February 11, 2013

Valentine's Prep

My son's current best friend is a very pragmatic little girl who is into superheros.  They are constantly together before school, after school, during school.  She came over this afternoon to play. 

The two of them went to use our old computer, and I asked if they were going to listen to music.

"No."

"Oh, are you going to type a letter like you did before?"

"Mom, we are going to mind our own business."

They are five and six years old.  Turns out they were typing out words from a chocolate milk cartoon.  You know, like you do when you're five and learning to read.

All three kids ended up making valentine's cards at our dining room table.  Our kind, thoughtful daughter made one for her brother's friend that she read out loud.  It said, "I think you are nice and I hope you have a good Valentine's Day.  You are pritty and I like your voiss."  It's exactly the kind of card our daughter would write to someone. 

However, when I dropped her off at home, I asked her why she didn't take the Valentine's card with her.  Her answer was, "I read it already, so why would I keep it?"

She's not a sentimental one.

No comments:

Post a Comment