Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Penguins

Last night, from about 5:00 until bedtime three hours later, my daughter copied sentences from wikipedia about penguins.  She was not being punished.  They are studying Antarctica in her class, and she wants to learn.

We are now on book two (in the correct order, not the 'chronological' one) of the Narnia series now, and she cried when I told her she couldn't keep writing sentences as I read. 

What it means to parent my daughter: losing a battle of wills means that she gets to continue writing facts about penguins as she listens to a story. 

She copies down all the scientific names and wants me to read them and is frustrated with me because I can't pronounce them correctly.

We have had battles of wills over things like what coat to wear with a dress on really cold days or the need to sleep in on the weekends, so I'm not saying she's a complete angel.  I'm just saying that I don't mind losing this particular battle about wikipedia.


No comments:

Post a Comment