Saturday, February 16, 2013

Language of Familiarity

Thursday afternoon at work, a group of the seniors I work with were leaving for the day.  It had been a full day of activity, ending with Somali-made Ethiopian food and an English lesson about "What I like..."  Everyone was tired, and I suspected looking forward to their afternoon naps. 

I'd sat down at my desk to make a note of something when the gruff Somali elder walked by, the one who sounds angry no matter what he's saying. We exchange goodbyes and waves and apparently had some sort of conversation because the young Eritrean lady whose desk is across from mine shook her head and asked, "What did you even just say to each other?  What language is that?"

As an introvert, the initial getting-to-know-you phase is energy-draining.  I much prefer the comfort of already knowing someone, which is what I have now at work.  It's a nice feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment