Sunday, February 10, 2013

Chapter books

In A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Katie Nolan reads every night to her children one page from her Gideon Bible and one page from The Complete Works of Shakespeare.  She herself has very little education and doesn't understand many of the words but her mother told her that the way out of poverty is education, so this is what she does from the time her children are infants. 

It got me thinking about my degree in literature and my own kids.  We've always had books around, made frequent trips to the library, bought stacks of used books from yard and library sales, and read every day, but we haven't done a lot of this plowing through full chapter books yet.  I decided to change that, so Saturday night, I read the first four chapters of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to our kids.  They completely loved it, not wanting me to stop.  The chapter breaks have enough of the cliffhanger effect about them, so they kept prodding me on to more.

Tonight, it being a school night, we had time for one chapter, and then they said they were hungry.  I told them snack or chapter, not both, and I was pleased that they both had to really consider each option before deciding to go fill their bellies with the leftover bacon and pancakes from breakfast.  Tomorrow night we'll just get started earlier.


1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading "The Magician's Nephew" to Leah (out loud), and now we've moved on to "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe." It's so cool to introduce Narnia to my daughter :). Zach's reading "The Hobbit" out loud to the boys. They (the boys) usually fall asleep a few words in, but maybe something is sticking with them... :)

    ReplyDelete