Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Thick of Life

The other day as I drove my kids to school, a Sheryl Crow's song "My Favorite Mistake" came on the radio, a song that was very popular when I lived in Europe, so I started thinking about how my kids know so little of that part of my life and how for kids, their parents didn't really exist until they were born.  At least that's how it was for me as a kid.  I remember hearing my parents make reference to things from their lives before us kids, and it felt like they were just talking about strangers.  How could they have possibly lived a life before I entered it?

The manager where I work talked about the same thing today.  He was listing all the famous world leaders he has met and had dinners with, along with all the places he has lived and worked.  I was pretty fascinated to hear these stories of his work in South Africa, Bosnia, Hungary, Chad, Libya, Croatia, among others.  He got quiet for a couple seconds, shook his head, and said, "Man, I used to have a life."

I laughed at him, and said, "And then you got married and had kids," which made him laugh.  He then had me google a university peace program he was a part of, look through the archives and find his photo. I bet his kids know little about this part of his life either.

Today was a very busy day for me with lots of stuff going on at work (I so love my job), errands, girl scout meeting about cookie sales, room parent responsibilities, dinner, straightening up the house, overseeing homework, and our church small group.  In the middle of this day, specifically as my daughter and I were leaving her school in the winter early darkness because she'd forgotten her backpack there, I got into the car and suddenly had the thought that I'm living a phase of life that I'm going to look back on with nostalgia.  Yes, it's busy, and I hardly have time to watch movies or read books anymore, but this phase right now with two young grade school kids, a job I love, a church we're (finally!) really excited about, a new kitchen-aid mixer, a community of good people around us... it feels good. 

In some ways, this feels like the "thick" of life, the part I spent my youth preparing for.  I'm in it.   

1 comment:

  1. Amen. You made me smile. As my daughter gets ready to leave home next Fall she is listening a little bit closer to things I say about my life "before". It is interesting what she doesn't know, what I will and will not share and how she perceives it all now that she is old enough to think "I could do that" or "I would never do that". I completely resonate with being in the life that we spent our youth preparing for...

    ReplyDelete