Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Teacher

I was doing dishes from dinner while my kids cleaned the table.  Carol King's song "Chicken Soup with Rice" (based on the Maurice Sendak Nutshell Library and one of my son's favorite songs from his third year of life) was playing from the computer next to the kitchen.

Out of the blue, my son said, "Mom did you know that you are teaching me how to treat my own kids if I have kids some day?"

"Where did this come from?!"  I couldn't help being surprised by seeming randomness and profundity of the statement/question.

He said he didn't know where it came from.

"So, what kind of job am I doing?"

"Mostly good."

"But not totally good?"

"But mostly."

"What do I do that's not good?"

"I don't know."  He shrugged and handed me the washcloth. 

I was hoping for more specifics of areas to improve, but wow, what a reminder out of nowhere.  I saw this thing online somewhere saying that the way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice, or something like that.  According to my five-year-old, the way I treat him not only becomes his inner voice but will be the way he treats his own kids. 

Big reminder for a Wednesday night.

1 comment:

  1. I think "mostly good" is EXCELLENT! I hope you were glowing internally with this great kid praise.

    ReplyDelete