Sunday, January 6, 2013

2013 Reading Goal

We left town for New Year's and had spotty internet connection at night, the time I have tried to set aside for blogging.  It made me realize how easy it is to get out of the habit of writing, especially now that January has hit and our days seem to be filled with the mundane.  I mean, come on, my last post was about what we watched on TV Friday night.

I suppose this is the challenge for me then, to make sure I'm looking for the small moments, the way my son's kindergarten teacher tells the class to write about "one small moment" in their writing workshops.  We're not going to be taking interesting trips to snowy mountains every weekend like we did for New Year's (not that I wrote about any of that), so I need to make sure my eyes are open to things around me now that we're back in the gray of winter in the city.

I'm not one for New Year's resolutions (or "revolutions" as our son calls them), but I do see the value in setting goals for myself, so one goal I've set is to make sure I am making time for books this year.  My goal is at least two a month, and I've started with Dead End Gene Pool by Wendy Burden.  One of the nice perks of living in a bookish city is that it's easy to find used books for super cheap.  I currently have stacks of them that I found in 2012 from yard sales and used book sales, some for as low as 25 cents.  My husband wanted to get me a kindle for Christmas, but I would feel too guilty having it, not reading the stacks in my house.  So my goal is to work my way through these.  I want to find a sidebar widget to keep track.


No comments:

Post a Comment