Thursday, December 27, 2012

Reader

Michael Jackson dance party going on as I write this, not just in the house, but in the room, right behind me.  A lesson in moon-walking to my right.  "You Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" at a comfortable level though it's not my son's favorite, "Smooth Criminal."

He is dancing as fast as he possibly can, spinning so fast he falls down and jumps right up thanks to the springs in his hiney.

Tonight he wanted to practice reading one of his Christmas presents, a boxed set of ten short books about Star Wars.  We picked the second book which focuses on the "short e" sound, and as we went page by page, I was amazed at how, within the last month, he can suddenly read.  As he read this book tonight about the close friendship of Han Solo and Chewie, I felt a little the way I did when he crawled and walked for the first time.  My child suddenly reading is such a milestone.  As a former literature major, I couldn't help feeling nostalgic and verklempt as I watched my youngest child figure out how to decipher symbols on a page into sounds and meaning.

Thank you, Scholastic Books, for choosing this photo for the back cover of Book 2 in your Star Wars boxed set of early readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment